A blueberry lemon buttermilk cake sounds delightful and perfect for a summer treat! The combination of sweet blueberries, tangy lemon zest, and moist buttermilk creates a delightful flavor profile that is sure to impress.
Here’s the recipe that I use if you want to make it at home:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (olive oil works well)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (plus more for topping)
- Powdered sugar (optional, for dusting)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a nine-inch round baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar until the mixture becomes light, fluffy, and pale in color (about five minutes).
- Add the vegetable oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle a few additional blueberries on top of the batter for a visually appealing touch.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
- For an extra touch, you can dust the cooled cake with powdered sugar.
Once you’re done, you can then enjoy this delicious and moist blueberry lemon buttermilk cake with family and friends on warm summer days, and savor the delightful flavors it brings to your palate!