Lemon cookies sound delightful, especially with the fresh lemon juice and zest that pack them with a bright citrus flavor.
You want to chill the dough before baking to maintain its soft and chewy texture while preventing excessive spreading during baking.
Here’s how you can get started:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest and juice from one large lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
For the icing, you’ll need the following:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, cream the butter and white sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy (about two minutes).
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix until fully combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or spoon to roll the cookie dough into balls. Roll each ball in the granulated sugar and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Place the entire baking pan into the fridge for 15 minutes to chill the dough. Chilling will prevent excessive spreading during baking and help keep the cookies soft and chewy.
- Bake the chilled cookie dough for 10 minutes, until the edges are just lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack before icing.
As for the icing, whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until fully incorporated. Adjust the consistency by adding more sugar if it’s too thin or more lemon juice if it’s too thick. Drizzle the icing over the completely cooled cookies.
This recipe yields approximately 24 delicious soft and chewy lemon cookies that will surely brighten any day with their delightful citrus flavor. Enjoy them with a cup of tea or as a sweet treat any time!