Chocolate cupcakes sound absolutely delicious and perfect for celebrating birthdays! The fact that it requires only one bowl and is foolproof makes it even more appealing to busy bakers.
Plus, there’s no shame in using store-bought frosting when it’s as delicious as Betty Crocker’s. However, your homemade chocolate buttercream frosting sounds absolutely divine for those special occasions when you want to add a touch of luxury to your cupcakes.
Here’s the recipe summarized for easy reference:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners or grease it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and warm water. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
As for the chocolate buttercream frosting, you want the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
Here’s how to make it:
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the butter until it is light and nearly doubled in volume, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until incorporated.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar, one-half cup at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add the vanilla extract and sea salt, and mix until fully combined.
This recipe yields approximately 18 delicious chocolate cupcakes. Enjoy these delightful treats with your loved ones and celebrate many more happy birthdays together!